Several months ago I wrote a post titled "Is It Really That Easy?". I was referring to potty training, and the answer is no! Last August, I started potty training Andrew. Within 2 days, Andrew was almost completely potty trained. The only accidents he was having were when we were outside. He learned it very quickly and did a great job. He did well for about 1.5-2 months and then he slowly started going backwards until it got to the point of him peeing his pants every time. He was still having a very hard time adjusting to Ella, so I decided to give it a break and let him go back to diapers for a while. He had absolutely no interest or desire in using the potty anymore and I could only clean up pee and poop a certain number of times a day. It didn't bother me too much letting him go back to diapers, but it was very frustrating in the fact that I knew he could do it and it was just his pure stubbornness and unwillingness that was causing him not to be potty trained.
In January, I decided it was time to start again. Only this time it wasn't that easy...M&Ms didn't even work! This time, though, I had decided that diapers were not an option and stuck with it. It took a couple weeks (whereas the first time, it only took 2 days), but Andrew finally gave in and started going on the potty himself. It has been about 2 months and he is still doing great. He has very few accidents and is able to go all by himself. I should have known it couldn't be as easy as our first experience. Oh well, I'm just glad it is over with now and he's fully potty trained before his 3rd birthday.

No comments:
Post a Comment