Sunday, April 17, 2011

Check Ups

Andrew and Luke had their 5 year and 6 month well child check ups last week. Andrew is 43 pounds and 43 inches, both right around 50th percentile. We measure Andrew every 3 months in his closet, and just since January, he has grown a little over 1 1/4 inches. I really didn't have many concerns about Andrew, and Dr. Hammer said he looked great. Luke was 16 pounds, 11 ounces and 26 3/4 inches, which is between the 25th and 50th percentile for weight and 5oth for height. Luke is actually a little taller than what Andrew was at 6 months, but weighs less. Again, no major concerns, and Dr. Hammer said he was perfect. Just a side note about Luke....he is now doing the official crawl. He's still a little slow, but he has the arm/leg movements down.

The boys' check ups were complete with vaccinations....no fun!! It doesn't get any easier no matter how many times you go through it. I was worried about Andrew. His 4 year check was horrible and I left sweating. I prepped him a little the morning of the appointment. We talked about it, how it only hurts for just a little, that I knew he could be brave and show Luke how to be brave for his, that it wouldn't take long, and that he could squeeze my hand as tight as he could. He seemed okay. I could tell he was nervous, but he cooperated by sitting on my lap. The nurse got out the alcohol pad to clean his leg and Andrew got really upset. Andrew thinks he is allergic to alcohol (rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizers, etc).....really he just doesn't like the smell. So he immediately said he didn't want the alcohol. Then I think the nurse took a little long and Andrew lost it. She quickly gave him the two shots and it was over. Andrew yelled, I mean yelled. Then he cried for a little, got a sucker, and he collected himself. On to Luke....poor little Luke didn't know what was going to happen, so he cooperated easily, but he did cry. =( Thankfully, he doesn't usually cry for very long.

All in all the check up went great. They are two healthy boys (very thankful for that!) and we all survived the shots...without any sweating.

No comments: