Andrew had a red beta fish that he named Lightning McQueen. Lightning lived in a big bowl on Andrew's dresser. Andrew would pull his stool over to watch him sometimes and he always liked helping Daddy feed him. Sadly, Lightning McQueen died. I really didn't think Andrew would understand or be too phased by it, but when Matt told him, it was so sad. Here's the conversation between them:
Daddy: "Something kind of sad happened. Lightning McQueen died."
Andrew: "Nooooo." Quickly turns to look at the bowl, long silence, and then "Why he die?"
Daddy: "Fish don't live as long as humans. Lightning had a good life; he lived a long time."
Andrew: "But I really like him. Why he have to be dead?"
Andrew had such a sad face and was talking in a sad voice and he was sitting in Daddy's lap with his head down. I started tearing up, so I left the room. I couldn't believe how much he understood and how much it affected him. He seemed so sad. Daddy and Andrew prayed for Lightning. Andrew hasn't said too much since, so I think he's okay now, but the moment of telling him was really sad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment