Thursday, September 17, 2009

I DID IT!!!

I did it....I finished my first half marathon!!! This past Sunday was the big day and today (it's Thursday) is my first day of not being sore! I was very nervous about the race for about 4 days leading up to it. Every time I thought about it, I got butterflies in my stomach. By the time Saturday came, I was doing a little better; I had talked myself into just having fun and being okay with what I could do. Sunday I woke up at 4:30 and surprisingly felt great. I didn't feel nervous. I was worried about not being able to eat breakfast because I'd be so nervous. I managed to eat a banana and a mini bagel. I tried to eat a cereal bar when it got closer to the race, but just couldn't. The nerves had set in.

Michelle and I waited in line to use the restroom for about 40 minutes. Once we walked out of the bathroom, the race was starting. I quickly tried to find where I needed to be pace wise and started moving. Once it started, I felt great. I was feeling really good and could tell my pace was great. I had forgotten my watch, which I was really upset about at the time, but then later realized was probably a good thing. They had pacers that carried balloons. I knew I was ahead of the 2:08 balloon, so I at least had a general idea of where I was. I could tell my pace was really good (compared to my training pace not others) and felt really comfortable with it.

The first 6 miles seemed really quick. Thinking about who I was running each mile for was helping the time go by faster. I would thank God for them, pray for them, name things they did for me, then I would focus for a while, and before I knew it, the next mile was starting. At about 6 miles, my left quad and right calf started hurting. I don't think I really remember too much about miles 6 to 9, probably because I was totally out of it and not paying attention. Those were very long and boring miles. I was still trying to think about who the miles were for, but my thoughts were getting shorter. I think I was just trying to focus on keeping proper form and at the same time letting my mind wander to remove myself from what I was doing.

I had hoped that when I had 3 miles left, I would be able to pick up the pace. However, when I saw the 10 mile marker, I knew there was no way I'd be picking up the pace and still be able to finish. From Mile Marker 10 to 11 was probably the longest mile. I was just so ready to be done at this point. Once I had two miles left, I tried to pick up the pace, but I could only do it for a few minutes and then have to slow down again. Finally, with one mile left, I made myself start going faster...it was only a mile. I focused on lengthening my stride, breathing, and finishing! We came around a corner and someone yelled 1/2 mile, we went down a small hill, and then turned another corner. I could see the finish area, but it was still a ways off. Out loud to myself I said, "I can do this....I can do this....I can do this". Every time I said it, I made myself go faster. I was in a sprint for about the last 200-300 meters. And finally.....I crossed the finish line!

When I crossed, the time said 2:05, which meant I had finished in under 2 hours and 5 minutes (I didn't cross the start line right away). I couldn't believe it! I didn't know my official time until I got home and checked it online. I finished my first half marathon in 2 hours, 1 minute, and 9 seconds. My goal (which I hadn't told anyone) was 2:10, but I told myself I wouldn't be upset if it was closer to 2:15, so I could have some leeway. 2:10 would have been a 10 minute per mile pace, which is what I had been doing in training. I didn't know how it would be with a full 13 miles, though. I was very happy with my time. It was an average of 9:15 a mile. My time was much better than I ever would have expected! It felt great!!!

When I finished, Matt, Andrew, Ella, Mom, Melanie, Tom, Ryleigh, and Madison were there to congratulate me. The first thing I did was give hugs and then change my shirt and take off my shoes. The only dry spot on my shirt was a small ring around my shirt cuff. It was completely soaked. Then I headed to the water and food tent. I felt like I needed some food, but didn't really feel like eating. I had a couple cookies and a bag of chips. I waited to see the other moms cross the finish line and then we headed home. We stopped at IHOP to eat.

I tried to nap when I got home, but I couldn't relax. It was like I had restless leg syndrome...my legs couldn't stay still. I did lay around until about 5, even though I couldn't sleep. Then I was feeling pretty good. I even cleaned up a little. Monday I was very sore...quads, hamstrings, calves, abs, obliques, lower back. The stairs were a killer! Tuesday still really sore. Wednesday feeling a little better. My quads were still sore on Wednesday. I did go to Stroller Strides and run just a little bit with Melanie. I think that along with stretching afterward really helped. Today I finally feel normal!

I am very relieved to have the race over. I am so glad I decided to actually do it. I still don't know what it was that made me want to do it, but whatever it was, I'm glad it was there. I had an amazing experience and learned a lot! My first half marathon overall was very satisfying, empowering, and fun.

No comments: