I was supposed to write this post before my half marathon, but never got the chance. So I'm going to write it quickly before I write my post-half marathon post :)....better late than never.
One of the moms I was training with had a friend who had run a couple half marathons and she suggested running each mile for someone and sharing it during the race to make time go by faster. I thought it was a great idea! I didn't have anyone I ran the race with, but my plan was to talk or think about the people in my head to keep me busy and keep my mind off what I was doing. For the first several miles, each time I hit a new mile, I would think about why I was running for that certain person, thank God for all she/he has done for me, and pray for her/him. It usually took up the first half to three quarters of the mile and then I would focus for a while until I hit the next mile marker and start with a new person. At about Mile 9 or 10, my thoughts were very short. I basically thought, "This mile is for __________." and that's about it. I was so exhausted that I couldn't even think to myself! Here is who I ran my 13 miles for:
Mile 1 - God. I strive to make God first in my life (although it is definitely a work in progress that I am better at some days more than others!), so I thought it was fitting that I run Mile 1 for Him. After all, it was God who gave me the ability to run....healthy lungs, working legs, strong muscles, a body that works just as He designed it to, determination, and will power. I dedicated Mile 1 to God because I knew He would be carrying me through the next 12. And trust me there were numerous times I asked God to help keep me moving and finish strong.
Mile 2 - Matt. Matt was very supportive during my training. He watched the kids while I ran and let me meet with the other trainees on weekend mornings. I was pleasantly surprised at how much he was willing to take the kids so I could run. Without his support and help, I would not have been able to follow my training plan. He told me he was proud of me and always reinforced that he knew I could do it. He listened to me talk about how nervous I was for days before the race and could usually make me feel better. He made sure I knew all that mattered was that I did the best I could and should be proud whatever that may be. It was so great to see Matt and Ella right on my last stretch. Knowing they were there helped me finish strong.
Mile 3 - Andrew. One of the best memories I have from training are the times I ran with Andrew and Ella. Running with them is always a challenge and toward the end when I would get tired, Andrew and I would talk about The Little Engine that Could and how she always said "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can". It was cute and great that I could share that with Andrew. Andrew is my little man and I would do anything for him. My hope is that when he sees me running he will also gain a love for running and exercising and staying healthy. He now practices his "race" in our backyard. He and Ella also "race" across the living room almost every day. And he does actually let her win sometimes :). Andrew is also the reason I started Stroller Strides, so I could be home with him. And Stroller Strides is part of the reason I got back into running and did the half marathon, so I have Andrew to thank for my decision to run the half. And of course like everything in my life I do it for him, so the race was no different.
Mile 4 - Gabriella. Knowing that Ella will be watching my every move has given me so much inspiration to be the Christian, Mother, Wife, and Woman I want her to be. I was afraid to have a girl because of all the pressure of appearances for girls and the self-esteem issues that go along with it. I want Ella to love what God has given her and never be sad or get her feelings hurt. Ella is a HUGE part of my desire to live a healthy lifestyle. My hope is that she will see me eat healthy, exercise, and be happy with myself and she will in turn do the same. I hope that she will always exercise for the right reasons....because she enjoys it and wants to be healthy. I also hope that Ella (and Andrew, too) will see that hard work, dedication, and consistency can help you achieve anything you put your heart and mind to.
Mile 5 - My Mom. I wouldn't have accomplished half of what I have accomplished in my life if it weren't for my mom. My mom was always there...every basketball game, volleyball game, track meet, speech, award ceremony. Any big event in my life during school, college, and even in adulthood my mom has been there cheering me on. She always supported my dreams and goals (even if she knew something I didn't at the time). She always encouraged me and supported me. She has never told me that I couldn't do something when it came to my abilities. That means so much to me and has helped me become and do what I have in life! If it weren't for a solid support and encouragement structure in my life, I may have never attempted to do everything I have, including knowing that I could run 13 miles.
Mile 6 - My Dad. I think that a lot of the work ethic I have came from my dad. My dad has always worked very hard for my family. He has always given up a lot to make things happen for us. I have seen him do many things in his life. I have watched him work very hard and succeed because of his hard work. There is no way I could have made it 13 miles without a lot of hard work. I have my dad to thank for setting an example as to what hard work, determination, pushing through, and never giving up looks like. I know my dad has always supported me and been proud of me. He most definitely set many examples for me that helped me through training and helped me believe that I could do this.
Mile 7 - My Best Friend/My Sister (and her family). I recently convinced Melanie to train for a 5K. I have tried to get her to run for years. I had to run a mile for her! She's finally running herself. Aside from that and more importantly, though, Melanie has been with me for everything in my life. She truly is my best friend and my sister. She deserved a mile after all she has done for me! I can't think of any big event in my life where Melanie wasn't there for me, supported me, walked with me, or encouraged me. My half marathon was no different...she and her family were there to congratulate me at the finish line. She told me how proud she was and it was great to share that time with her. Next month when I cross the finish line with her at her first 5K, I will be SO proud of her. I have been so blessed to have such a wonderful sister to share life's memories with!
Mile 8 - My Brother (and his family). My brother recently was baptized, gave up smoking, and gave up drinking. I am proud of him for making those decisions and starting a healthier lifestyle. I ran a mile for him in support of his changes and knowing that this too was a healthy part of my life. Tim has also always watched out for his little sisters. I know he supports us and is proud of us, even if he doesn't always express it. He said watching anyone running was boring and not his thing, which I guess fit well because at about Mile 8 I was getting pretty bored :). I appreciate all the times Tim was there for me and gave up something for me.
Mile 9 - My Grandma. My Grandma Jones was always a great role model for me. She passed away when I was in 8th grade. I wanted to run a mile in memory of her and all that she did for me. I wish I could have continued to share my life and my family with my grandma, but I know she was there. Actually when I thought of her watching me, it made me smile and definitely took my mind off of the pain that was beginning to really head down hill at Mile 9.
Mile 10 - All of My Family. I have been blessed with a wonderful family, and I married into a wonderful family. All of the family I have that I was around when I was training for my half marathon was very supportive. They listened to me talk about the miles I was running, what was next, the nervousness I felt, and even sometimes the pain I was in. They were always quick to encourage me and think it was great what I was doing. Without all the positive reinforcement and support from my family, I never could have done it!
Mile 11 - Everyone I Trained With. I trained with 5 Stroller Strides moms and 2 Stroller Strides dads. It was great having them to meet every weekend morning for the long runs. Even though I didn't always run along side them, it was so nice having someone to meet. It made me get up, knowing others were waiting and that others were about to run the same crazy miles I was. I also watched 4 of the moms and one of the dads start at a 5K training. They struggled to run 10 minutes back in February and then finished a half marathon only 7 months later. They are a true story and inspiration of what your body can do and that it is possible with dedication and hard work!
Mile 12 - Runners and Those Who Wish to Run. All the runners I know (and even don't know) that enjoy running and have ran a half marathon or full marathon were definitely an inspiration to me. They reinforced that it could be done; that I could do it. I enjoyed hearing about their experiences and their encouragement in my ability to do it. At the same time, I also wanted to run for all of those wondering if they can do it......yes, you can! You may have to start slow, but you can run. You can start exercising and you can lead healthy lifestyle!
Mile 13 - Me. My half marathon training was the first fitness goal I had set for myself in years! I have spent so much time the past 2 years to make sure all my Stroller Strides moms were getting a great workout. This was finally something I could focus on, work hard to accomplish, and give it everything I had....and that's what I did! Every run I pushed myself and gave it everything I had. When it comes to running, I have a competitive side that comes out, but it is competition within myself. I have to have a goal to beat and I do everything I can to beat it. When I started training, I had no idea what I was capable of, but I was empowered to give it a try. And now that I've done one, when I run my next one, it will be to beat my first time. It was an amazing accomplishment and I'm so glad I did it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You should put warnings on these!!! What a tear jerker!!
Post a Comment