I love my kids. They are great! The past couple weeks have been a little tough. Matt was sick for over a week. Sick as in he couldn't leave the couch....a fever for 7 days. We also didn't really want him around the kids because we didn't want them to get sick. So for over a week, I was basically a single mom with a sick husband added to it. Also, add on Andrew and Ella in their "not getting along" phase and a cranky baby (which is really unusual). (There were moments when I wanted to go to work just for a break from home. =)) I was tired, frustrated, and impatient.
Last weekend I finally recovered....the house got clean, laundry was done, and everything was back in order. Which meant last week I got to just enjoy the kids again....cuddle time, books, crafts, games, Barbies, monster trucks. Last Thursday was an especially great day together. We spent 2 hours at the park playing, swinging together on a big swing, walking around the lake, and having a picnic. We were the only ones there and it was so quiet and so nice to enjoy being outside together just us enjoying the quiet and the weather. I sat on the bench with Luke watching him carefully observe everything Andrew and Ella were doing and watching Andrew and Ella play together so well in such a sweet, fun way. All I could think about was how absolutely wonderful they were, how big they are all getting, and how very thankful I am to be their mom.
Each of them are so special and unique in their own ways (and challenging in their own ways...except Luke...at least not yet). They are such great kids and I love watching them and listening to them play. I can see how much they love each other and how much they bond. I am so, so very thankful for the chance to stay home with my kids and see them each day (not always easy, but so worth it!). All 3 of them are already forming relationships that I know will make them great friends as they get older.
Andrew and Ella, for the most part, love being with each other. They have moments (sometimes week long phases) where they don't get along great, but on most days they love playing with each other. They play Barbies, house, Star Wars, school, camping, and monster trucks. It does seem that what Ella wants to play is usually what they play.....because Ella will only play what she wants to and Andrew just wants to play with her so he goes along with what she is doing. One day Ken, Barbie, and their family watched the monster truck show. Andrew wanted to play with Ella, but he also wanted to play monster trucks, so he set up the Barbies and gave them a monster truck show. Andrew can usually convince Ella to play Star Wars because she gets to be Princess Leia. I love listening to them play and hear the things they come up with to say. They really are great friends.
Andrew also takes great care of Ella. Yes, he does sometimes take things from her or hit her, but when we are other places, he watches out for her. Ella doesn't like MOPS all that much. I'm not sure why, but she doesn't usually want to go. She gets upset and sometimes cries. I ask Andrew to stay in the big open area with her until she is ready to play. Andrew will stand there with her, holding her hand or hugging her until she is okay. A couple weeks ago, Andrew said that when they went in their rooms, he could hear Ella crying, so he went in her room to talk to her, and she got to come back to his room and she stopped crying. Andrew's teacher told me one day that he is really good with Ella. He really does love and care for her! Andrew is also protective of her if someone does something to her or takes something from her. I love that they are close and enjoy each other. I do see many occasions in the future where they gang up on us, though....considering it already happens and they are only 2 and 4!
They both of course also love their baby brother! Maybe a little too much....they can't get enough of him. They are always right there by him. He doesn't get much space, but he seems to enjoy it. He always smiles at them. They are both still great helpers....get his diapers, clothes, toys. Andrew asks every day when he wakes up to hold Luke, so Andrew always holds and plays with Luke while I make breakfast. It is really convenient. Andrew is pretty good at entertaining him if I need to do something. Ella is a fabulous helper too. She loves, loves Luke and is like his second mommy. She plays with him, talks to him, reads to him, tries to teach him things, exercises with him (she does tickle drills, 5 Little Monkeys, etc.). I think Luke is going to fit right in. He watches them very carefully and smiles and laughs at them. He's ready to join them....and I'm sure it won't be long.
Here are some recent pics of the 3 of them together. They love posing for pics together. =)
Lazy Saturday morning, still in our pjs. Andrew and Ella were distracted watching cartoons, but Luke was all smiles.

No comments:
Post a Comment