The first six weeks after Gabriella was born I had my doubts about Andrew. He was not too fond of his new baby sister. He didn't want her to be around, he didn't want me to feed her, he was kind of mean to her, and he wouldn't leave her alone. I knew he was just having a hard time and needed to adjust, but in the moment it didn't seem like they would have a chance to be close. But, of course, Andrew adjusted and now they are adorable together! Andrew is the best big brother ever. He is so sweet to Ella and takes great care of her. He wants to help get her diapers, clothes, and toys. He is pretty good at sharing as long as he gets to pick out what toys she plays with. If I ask Andrew to get Ella a toy or blanket, he runs to her room and brings it back for her. When Ella cries, he tries to console her and gets her binky (even though she doesn't really take it anymore...he holds it in her mouth for her). One day Ella was lying on her belly crying and Andrew got down on his belly and said, "Ella, shh shh; Ella, shh shh" and he gave her a kiss. Anytime Ella cries, he has to run over and give her kiss. During Stroller Strides class, Andrew will get Ella's toys or pacifier if she is fussing. He also talks to her and tries to soothe her and entertain her. This morning we were reading a book and Andrew would stop and say, "Ella, apple; Ella, strawberry". He was trying to show her and tell her what everything was. Andrew is so excited when Ella wakes up from her naps and he thinks it is so funny when she comes out after being asleep for awhile. Andrew likes for Ella to watch him and do what he is doing. Now not that everything is perfect. Andrew does still occasionally hit Ella or throw something at her, especially if he gets a little jealous. But for the most part, Andrew loves his baby sister and takes great care of her. He watches out for her and wants to be with her.
Ella, of course, just soaks it all up. She loves the attention from her big brother. And she loves watching him. I told Matt that I think Ella likes Andrew more than she likes us. If Andrew is around, Ella's eyes are on him. She watches what he does, where he goes. She smiles almost every time she sees him, and Andrew has been able to make her laugh more than anyone I think. Andrew is a great entertainer. The other day we had a long line in the bank. Andrew sat down next to Ella's car seat and talked to her and gave her kisses. It helped keep them both entertained. This might be a coincidence, but last night we dropped Andrew off at Uncle Nathan and Aunt Trisha's House so we could go grocery shopping. When we were going back to their house, Ella cried all the way from the store. Matt went in to get Andrew and I stayed in the car. I was talking and playing with Ella to help calm her down. Then I said, "Ella, Andrew is coming. Do you want to see Andrew?" and she stopped crying. When he got in the van, she peeked over at him and smiled. It was cute even if it was a coincidence.
Andrew is such a sweet little boy. He and Ella are already so cute together and I know they will continue to grow closer and be great friends. They are so blessed to have each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment