Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Baby #3

We will be welcoming our third addition to our family at the end of September/beginning of October. When I had my first ultrasound, they gave me a due date of October 2, but I think they will move it up a couple days after my 2nd ultrasound. I have to wait for my next visit with my doctor. My first ultrasound was interesting. I had a dream that it was twins, so I jokingly said to the ultrasound tech, "I had a dream it was twins, so I'm just making sure there is only one baby in there." She replied, "It's interesting you say that....I see two sacs....but I only see one baby." I'm not sure where my head went at that point, but I was a little nervous. She checked from several angles and there wasn't a baby in the 2nd sac. The 2nd sac was also noticeably smaller than the one where the baby was. The baby's heart rate was 129, and I was measuring about 6.5 weeks. We thought I was going to be 8 weeks, so I was measuring a little small. The next day my doctor's office called and said my doctor reviewed my ultrasound and wanted me to have another one in 2 weeks. Even though I had seen the baby and knew it was doing well, it was scary not to really know what was going on. I was nervous about the 2nd sac, the heart rate being on the low side, and measuring small.

I had an appointment with my doctor a week after my 1st ultrasound, so I was able to talk to him a little bit before waiting for my 2nd ultrasound. He said it was called vanishing twin syndrome. Basically, my body knew something wasn't going right, so it picked the healthier of the two twins and filtered out the other one. It would have happened really early, at about 2-3 weeks, so it probably implanted and didn't do much else. It was a little sad to think about a baby who didn't make it, but I am thankful it wasn't a baby that developed and then we lost. My doctor also said the heart rate was on the lower normal range, but nothing to be worried about. I felt better after meeting with him, but still anxious for my 2nd ultrasound.

My 2nd ultrasound went great!!! The 2nd sac was gone, which is good. My body reabsorbed it, so we will not have to worry about it affecting the good baby/sac. The baby's heart rate went up to 184, so definitely not on the low side anymore! I was measuring 8 weeks, 6 days, so a couple days further along than the 1st ultrasound showed. In just 2 weeks, the baby had grown and formed shape. It was in the little bean shape with a noticeable head/body. It also had little tiny arms (more like nubbins). It was very relieving to see the baby developing and doing well!! It made me feel like I could really start being pregnant. We are super excited to welcome our new little one!! We find out if it is a boy or girl on May 7. :)

No comments: