Friday, October 15, 2010

Getting to Know Luke

Luke is 2.5 weeks old and we are still getting to know him. He is a generally happy baby unless you are changing his diaper or clothes. He doesn't like to be naked. He has a very good set of lungs. His cry isn't one of the cute newborn cries; it's loud! When he's just fussing to try to wake up or go to sleep, his cry is a little quieter, but when he's upset, he's loud. He has been since he was born. He still sleeps a lot, but when he is awake, he's very alert. He is wide eyed looking around. His most awake time is in the morning from about 7:30-8:30. He usually has another awake time in the afternoon/early evening, but other than that he wakes for only a short time before eating and going back to sleep.

He still doesn't sleep great at night. He had a few nights where he gave me 2-2.5 hour stretches. But for the most part, he wants to be held. He is very grunty at night. By the time he wakes up, I change him and feed him, and he grunts his way back to sleep, there is only an hour before he needs to eat again and we start all over. If I hold him, he goes back to sleep right away though. I feel like he gets all his deep sleeps in during the day and is more restless at night, so hopefully his schedule will adjust soon. I have a feeling he won't be a great sleeper until he is able to roll over and sleep on his belly.

Luke is my little cuddler. He likes to be held, cuddled, and swaddled. His cries can usually be fixed just by being held. He sleeps best when being held. He is starting to stretch out more and move his arms and legs when laying on the ground. I think he is close to smiling. When we talk to him, he looks like he wants to smile. He has a really happy look, just hasn't quite got the smile going yet. His eyes are opened wide when he's awake and he enjoys looking around.

Really Luke does still mostly just sleep, eat, and pee and poop. :) But so far, he seems to be happy, laid back, sweet, and loving. I am really looking forward to seeing how his personality comes about and what he is like. I do know that he is absolutely adorable. He has the cutest little face with perfect little features. He has already brought so much joy to our family. He really is a sweetheart!

No comments: