Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shoes in the Trash

Last night Andrew put his muddy shoes ($55 Stride Rite shoes!) in a grocery bag and told me he was putting them in the trash. I was admittedly trying to do something and not completely paying attention. I told him we didn't throw shoes away, that we wash them. He went out in the garage, but I just kind of thought to myself that I would go out and check later to make sure he didn't really throw them away so I could finish up what I was doing. Of course, I forgot to check on them.

Today was trash day, so Matt as usual took all the trash out. We left early to take Andrew to preschool because I wanted to go to Walgreens first. Andrew got in the van with his socks. I thought his shoes were still in the car from yesterday. When we got to Walgreens, I went to grab his shoes to put them on and they weren't there. And then it clicked....Andrew had thrown his shoes in the trash! I quickly put them both back in the car and rushed home, praying the trash man hadn't come yet. Sometimes he comes early and sometimes late. We came up over the hill to the first house in the subdivision and the trash was still there...sigh of relief! I pulled in the driveway and a little ways down in the trash can were Andrew's $55 shoes. Good thing we saved those from being thrown away!

No comments: