This week has been a little hectic. I've been fighting a cold for over a week and not sleeping well. Luke also caught the cold, so he's really not sleeping well. I took him to the doctor today and he has an ear infection. I feel a little overwhelmed and behind on a lot of things, so I've tried to stay up to date on the 30 day mom challenge.
Day 5 - Tell yourself, "He/She is only ___ years old." And then treat him/her that way. I did remind myself of this when Luke was waking up every hour during the night. He didn't feel well and although I really, really wanted to sleep, I had to remind myself that he's one and I am who makes him feel better. I used this with Ella when she was dusting the DVDs with pledge. I don't know if it will hurt them or not, but she really was trying to help. I didn't have a specific instance for Andrew, but I think in general I need to work on this when it comes to Andrew. I think we expect too much out of him as the "older" brother and put too much emphasis on him being the leader and role model and setting an example. We do tell him that he has an important role in the family and I do believe it is important that he know his sister and brother look up to him, but I think Matt and I need to remember that he too is only 5. He doesn't quite reason like an adult yet.
Day 6 - Bake, make, or buy them their favorite food. I would have loved to have made this a special cook together time, but it just wasn't going to happen this week. So instead I let them do something I never do (except on long road trips and going to the movie theater, both of which are rare). We went to the gas station and they got to pick whatever they wanted. Andrew picked sour gummy worms, Ella picked Skittles, and Luke picked a ring pop. Oh and I picked a Twix. =) We all enjoyed our treat.
Day 7 - What is one thing we can do together this month? I originally switched days for this one so I could have one on one time with each kid, but I think it will have to wait for another day (hopefully Thursday). My alone time with Luke consisted of going to the doctor and Wal-Mart to get his prescription. When Luke was napping, I was trying to get caught up from having a clingy baby. It was a busy, exhausting day. But we did enjoy 65 degree weather in January!
Day 5 - Tell yourself, "He/She is only ___ years old." And then treat him/her that way. I did remind myself of this when Luke was waking up every hour during the night. He didn't feel well and although I really, really wanted to sleep, I had to remind myself that he's one and I am who makes him feel better. I used this with Ella when she was dusting the DVDs with pledge. I don't know if it will hurt them or not, but she really was trying to help. I didn't have a specific instance for Andrew, but I think in general I need to work on this when it comes to Andrew. I think we expect too much out of him as the "older" brother and put too much emphasis on him being the leader and role model and setting an example. We do tell him that he has an important role in the family and I do believe it is important that he know his sister and brother look up to him, but I think Matt and I need to remember that he too is only 5. He doesn't quite reason like an adult yet.
Day 6 - Bake, make, or buy them their favorite food. I would have loved to have made this a special cook together time, but it just wasn't going to happen this week. So instead I let them do something I never do (except on long road trips and going to the movie theater, both of which are rare). We went to the gas station and they got to pick whatever they wanted. Andrew picked sour gummy worms, Ella picked Skittles, and Luke picked a ring pop. Oh and I picked a Twix. =) We all enjoyed our treat.
Day 7 - What is one thing we can do together this month? I originally switched days for this one so I could have one on one time with each kid, but I think it will have to wait for another day (hopefully Thursday). My alone time with Luke consisted of going to the doctor and Wal-Mart to get his prescription. When Luke was napping, I was trying to get caught up from having a clingy baby. It was a busy, exhausting day. But we did enjoy 65 degree weather in January!

No comments:
Post a Comment